Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Inspirations

When I exhibit my work at an art show I am always asked "How do you come up with your ideas?"  I thought I would share the inspiration for my new Family Tree Ornament.

My Mom created this wonderful cross stitch family tree when I was little for my Grandmother.  My Grandparents had 8 kids and MANY grand kids and LOTS of great grand kids.  This cross stitch was huge and so ornate, the initials all in little hearts with the dates of the weddings, the kids initials and birth dates, leaves and texture of the bark and all.  I remember it hanging in her living room for years and just looking at it as the grownups talked.  It isn't the one shown but something like this.


Fast forward to today....

I made a goal for myself to create at least 1 new design every week.  I am a night owl and work until 3 or 4 am most nights.  So I am working away, starting to get tired, and ready to head to bed.  In the back of my mind I have been trying to figure out a way to make a piece of jewelry for my mom, who really only like bracelets and rings, with all of her kids, grand kids, and great grand kids on it.  There is only 25 names to be included!  I mean how hard can that be right? lol  I had just made a new Mom necklace with just the initials and thinking how to make a bracelet with just initials.  Hmmm.

The family tree flashes through my mind, I grab a note pad and sketch it out (which I never do).  Out comes a sheet of metal, the shears, and the stamps.  One hour later - The Family Tree Ornament is made.  And I love the way it has turned out!


What has inspired you?  I would love to hear some comments on your inspirations!

Regina :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment